Board Actions History
Current - July 2009
Next Meeting: July 12-13, 2018 - Dallas, TX
November 15-16, 2017
- Moved to Executive Session to interview the candidates for the position of CEO.
- After reconvening the Board meeting, announcement made of offer to Mary Lue Peck for CEO subject to contract agreement.
- Approved the minutes for July 6-7, 2017 Board Meeting as presented.
- Interim CEO Packard provided updates on: leadership changes in membership; membership touchpoints process; marketing and website changes that includes hiring of KEO; how recent natural disasters have impacted registrations; and, website calendar for Chapters.
- Treasurer appointee for 2018-19 is Mike Staver, CSP.
- Reported on findings and recommendations from Finance Committee on transparency of finances, training and actions to improve.
- Director Davis provided an update on progress of Volunteer Job Description Task Force.
- Director Cates shared that Referral Task Force is creating a “How to Refer NSA.”
- IPP Molidor provided update on Board Nominations and recommendations to improve process. Recommendations as presented were approved.
- Director Rice provided an update on Ambassador Committee activities.
- A presentation on Video Vault Update was conducted by Director Evans.
- Director Jacobsen and President-elect Thurmon gave updates on the NSA Community Group Task Force efforts.
- President Walter provided updates on: Sponsorship Task Force - re-scoped by Past President Karr; On Demand Strategy – on hold; Event Marketing – cancelled with hiring of KEO; and, OnDemand Indexing Task Force – on hold.
- Discussed successes and activities of 2017 chair orientation meetings.
- Approved Roxanne Emmerich as co-chair of 2018-19 CSP/CPAE Summit.
- Discussed possibilities for renaming CSP/CPAE Summit.
- Approved Russ Riddle as 2019-20 Vice Chair for Speaker.
- Confirmed Past President Molidor as rep to GSF.
- Acknowledged that Global Speaking Fellow designation has replaced GSF Global.
- Presentation on OnDemand modules and Speaker Academy.
- Approved recommendations of Executive Committee: All OnDemand branding be removed from Video Vault Project; and, OnDemand be placed on hold pending incoming CEO.
- Clarification received on status of fundraising between internal v. external groups.
- Reviewed proposed Intensive Sales Training Special Track Pilot Program for Influence.
- Approved the Audit Report as presented by Steve Pope of Henry & Horne.
- Approved a 2-3-hour financial online training program for members of the Board.
- Director Donadio provided update on CSP Committee appointments and changes.
- Participated in “Strategy Micro Session” and “Trial Balloon” discussions.
July 6-7, 2017
Walt Disney World Swan Resort
Lake Buena Vista, FL
- Welcomed Interim CEO Chris Packard.
- Approved minutes for February 23, 2017 Board Meeting as presented.
- Received updates on the following:
- Process and Search for CEO, including the vetting of 10 hiring firms by Ruby Newell-Legner
- GSF Changes: Board Structure, approval of designation, and addition of another member association.
- Ambassador Pilot Program
- Video Lab 2017 ratings
- President-Elect Brian Walter reminds of his appointments: Treasurer – Barry Banther,
- Secretary – Anna Liotta, Presidential Appointee – Tami Evans.
- Vice President Dan Thurmon appointments accepted as presented:
- Academy Chair – Ed Gerety, CSP, with members Meredith Elliott Powell, CSP and Josh Drean
- Chapter Leadership Committee Chair – Allison Clarke, CSP
- CSP Vice Chair Margarita Gurri, Ph.D., CSP, with members Doug Stevenson, CSP and Stu Schlackman, CSP
- Ethics Members were appointed but are considered confidential
- Influence 2019 Co-Chairs – Mike Rayburn, CSP, CPAE and Dan Burrus, CSP, CPAE
- Video Lab 2.0 Chair – Eric Chester, CSP, CPAE
- Speaker Magazine Chair – Laurie Guest, CSP
- Youth Chair – Bronkar Lee
- Winter Conference 2019 – TBD
- CSP/CPAE Summit 2019 – TBD
- Treasurer’s Report approved as accepted, also reviewed Board Designated Funds Status report ending May 2017.
- Received verbal reports from Immediate Past President, Executive Committee, and Interim CEO.
- Reviewed and approved CSP Class of 2017 memo as presented.
- NSA Brand Refresh, Strategic Planning, Local, and Building Initiatives on hold.
- President-Elect Walter made presentation on Member Advised-Staff Managed Shift, along with preview of additional proposed 2017-18 Task Forces and Committees.
- Moved to the Committee of the Whole for the strategic planning session.
- Foundation Chair Al Walker gave NSA Foundation report.
- PLT completed with Reimbursement Task Force. Formalized policy that PLT will not be reimbursed for alcohol or legally controlled substances.
- Director Jacobsen updated on Power Women; wanting an additional day of programming during NSA-Sponsored Events.
- Presentation given by David Martin of Sterling Martin on CEO search.
- Anna Liotta was voted as Vice President for 2017-2018.
- Directors Donadio and Rice selected to serve on the Executive Committee for 2017-2018.
- Update to membership category; “live” and “speaker presentation’ meaning includes those presenting in the moment, but not on the same room as participants.
February 23, 2017
Marriott San Francisco Airport Waterfront
- Viewed a presentation on the making of the new sound block for future Board meetings.
- Approved the minutes from the November 16-17, 2016 Board meeting as presented.
- Received updates on the following:
- Status of NSA OnDemand project.
- Appointment of a Task Force to explore potential healthcare and other member benefits.
Establishment of a private Facebook group for Board members to stay connected.
External groups agreement including a motion to approve the agreements and allow for any edits as suggested by the attorneys.
Establishment of a certification exam as part of the CSP process.
Official representative to the GSF is President Molidor.
Launch of NSA Ambassador program.
CSP Global designation no longer exist; it is now referred to as the Global Speaking Fellow.
- Approved Allison Clark as the CLC Chair for 2018-19.
- Received update on NSA investments, sponsorships, credit card processing fees and the budget year-to-date.
- Advised about the new Board Nominations Process and status on candidates for 2017.
- Updated on the NSA building recommendation.
- Moved to Executive Session to discuss the NSA Brand refresh initiative which included approving to provide the marketing firm with the written data for the purpose of providing revisions within 30-60 days.
- Approved the preliminary listing of 2017 Class of CSPs.
- Reviewed but did not approve the 2017-18 Operating and Capital budgets.
- Advised that the NSA Foundation created a task force to create guidelines for accepting donations.
- Moved to the Committee of the Whole for the strategic planning session.
- Within Executive Session, discussed the ECEC findings and recommendations.
Approved the minutes from the July meeting as presented.
November 16-17, 2016
- Approved the minutes from the July meeting as presented.
- Approved the following motions:
- Influence 2019 Co-chairs Mike Rayburn, CSP, CPAE and Daniel Burrus, CSP, CPAE
- Bronkar Lee as Youth Program Chair
- Moved to a “Committee of the Whole” for:
- Strategy Process: Overview/Transition
- Strategic Area 1: GAP Analysis/Future Strategic Planning Process
- Strategic Area 2: OnDemand Strategy/Next Steps
- Strategic Area 3: Chapter 2.0
- Strategic Area 4: Member Experience
- Strategic Area 5: International Strategy
- Received verbal reports from the President, President Elect, Vice President, CEO and President as Chair of the Executive Committee.
- Advised about Board Nominations Process Updates by IPP Ruby Newell-Legner, CSP.
- Notified that NSA will required Affiliation/Affinity Agreement going forward for all groups/organizations that meet at NSA meetings.
- Sought input on creation of a Presidential Gavel.
- Moved to Executive Session where the following items were discussed:
- Pending staff changes.
- Status of staff performance evaluations.
- Development of a "Code of Conduct" for volunteers.
- Consideration of including Code of Conduct/Ethics as part of Affiliation Agreement.
July 21-22, 2016
JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort
- Approved the minutes from the February meeting as corrected.
- Approved the following motions:
- Barry Banther is appointed as 2016-17 Secretary for NSA.
- Anna Liotta is approved 2016-17 Treasurer for NSA.
- Casey Carpenter as the 2016-17 Presidential Appointee.
- Rob Ferre is appointed as 2017 Youth Program Vice Chair and 2018 Chair.
- Moved to a “Committee of the Whole” for:
- LMS update and further direction for CEO.
- Sharing of top priorities from Member Assessment Survey.
- Update on progress of International Strategy initiative.
- Chapter 2.0 progress.
- Moved to Executive Session for discussion on staff changes, as well as presentation and approval of ECEC report and recommendation for CEO.
- Received an update related to activities of NSA Foundation.
- Accepted recommendation #2, on page 50, as written from the Financial Planning Task Force.
- Approved a motion for CEO to explore available real estate in Phoenix market that would better suit the needs of NSA in the future.
- Approved the consolidation of the Finance Committee into the Executive Committee.
- Approved to accept recommendations #1, 2, 3 and 5 of the Volunteer Reimbursement Task Force.
- Approved to accept the CSP Class of 2016 as approved by the CSP Committee.
- Allocated up to $60,000 be allocated from Undesignated Assets to develop a clearly defined pilot/proof of concept for NSA OnDemand course for Board review by May 31, 2017.
- From the Cyber Audit recommendations approved up to $17,000 of the Capital Budget to purchase a new in-house server to include the associated costs.
- Accepted the Strategic Planning Committee’s proposed International Strategy.
- Voted Dan Thurmon, CSP, CPAE as Vice President.
- Elected Directors Donadio and Pettitt to the Executive Committee for 2016-17.
February 25, 2016
- Approved the minutes of the November 18-19, 2015 Board meeting, as corrected.
- Moved to "Committee of the Whole" for a/an:
- Overview of the work of the SPC, including a presentation of Big 3/Little 3 projects.
- Update on current strategies which included: Member Assessment Survey; implementation of MemberSuite database; marketing communications plans; various Task Force initiatives; multi-year education plan; and, status of a Learning Management System (LMS).
- Presentation and update on the issues concerning the Global Speakers Federation (GSF), including a review of the letter from Jonathan Low, CSP, PCC, as President of the GSF.
- Discussion and presentation on the International Strategy results from November.
- Chapter 2.0 discussion with the purpose of looking at how NSA National can help the chapters with the fundamental basics, guiding them towards sustainability.
- Defeated a motion regarding terminating use of NSA Headquarters as a rental facility by January 1, 2017.
- Defeated a motion directing the NSA CEO to develop a detailed rental policy.
- Approved a motion to forward to the Executive Committee the discussion/decision to use NSA Headquarters as a rental facility.
- Accepted the CSP Class of 2016 pending final approval of the CSP Committee.
- Approved to amend the current staff 401(k) plan to allow for a Safe Harbor Matching contribution effective June 1, 2016.
- Approved the projected 2016-17 Operating Budget as presented.
- Accepted and approved the 2016-17 Capital Budget as amended.
- Approved the 990 filings for the National Speakers Association and the NSA Foundation.
- Approved $20,000 from Undesignated Funds to digitize all footage at NSA Headquarters, as determined by the Video Task Force by March 1, 2017.
- Approved an exploratory budget of up to $15,000 to develop a concept and plan for a proprietary Learning Management System.
- Approved NSA remaining a member association of the GSF.
- Moved to Executive Session where the mid-year performance plan for the CEO was presented and approved.
November 18-19, 2015
- Approved the minutes of the July 16-17, 2015 Board meeting, as amended.
- Accepted the final report, findings and recommendations of the Membership Task Force.
- Moved to a "Committee of the Whole" for:
- Discussion on how Strategic Planning would occur this year.
- An update of new Associated Management System through MemberSuite.
- The vision for a Learning Management System.
- Presentations by Dean West and Bill Voegeli on upcoming trends for Associations.
- Discussion on framing models to consider for supporting a global decision strategy.
- Accepted the recommendation of the Audit Committee to accept the audit findings as presented by CliftonLarsonAllen.
- Approved recommendations A-I, as amended, of the GSF Task Force.
- Voted to abstain from a decision regarding the CSP Global name change and new process.
- Provided direction to the NSA GSF Representative on how to respond to the GSF survey/vote.
- Gave direction to the CEO on the following:
- roviding a hospitality room to Cigar PEG during Influence 2016.
- Preparing an estimate to renovate (including expenses and revenue potential) NSA Headquarters meeting room to allow bringing small meetings and Labs in-house.
- Continue to explore the opportunity with Connect (an online TV network).
- Further research possibilities of a co-convention with CAPS for 2020.
- Approved the Consent Agenda related to Policy and Procedure changes.
- Allocated up to $7,500 from the operating budget to pursue the international trademark for CSP.
- Completed the Conflict of Interest statements.
July 16-17, 2015
Marriott Wardman Park
- Approved the minutes of the February 5, 2015 Board meeting.
- Approved Jessica Pettitt, CSP as Secretary.
- Approved Monica Wofford, CSP as Treasurer.
- Introduced John Sileo, CSP as Presidential Appointee.
- Advised that Dan Thurmon, CSP, CPAE will be the Chair for the Executive Compensation and Evaluation Committee.
- Approved the Committee Chairs as presented.
- Approved the Consent Agenda which were updates to the Policies and Procedures.
- An update was provided on Executive Committee calls.
- Reviewed the Year-End Operating Budget.
- Discussed process of building Strategic Plan moving forward. Identified items completed and on-going.
- Received an update from GSF President Lenora Billings-Harris and introduction to incoming GSF President Jonathan Low.
- Elected Brian Walter, CSP, CPAE as 2017-18 Vice President.
- Moved to Executive Session where the Board approved the 2015-2018 NSA CEO Compensation Plan.
- Received an update on NSA Foundation activities.
- Approved proposal for release of brand development designated funds.
- Approved that a Task Force be created to study the implementation of an online archive of NSA general session presentations with a findings report due at the November 2015 meeting.
- Approved the creation of a GSF Task Force to address specified issues with a findings report due at the November 2015 meeting.
- Reviewed proposed materials and discussed the Membership Qualifications next steps.
- Received an update on the NSA Virginia Transition Plan.
- Approved the 2015 Class of CSPs as presented.
- Discussed status of Chapter Affiliation Agreements and dissolution of three chapters (Indiana, Oklahoma and Tennessee).
- Reviewed and discussed Committee Chair Reports.
- Elected Directors Dan Thurmon, CSP, CPAE and Liz Weber, CSP to the Executive Committee.
February 5, 2015
The New Tropicana Hotel
Las Vegas, NV
- Approved the minutes of the November 22, 2014 Board meeting.
- Deferred the Good Turn oral presentation being converted into a proposal and submitted to the NSA Foundation for consideration.
- Moved to Executive Session where the following occurred:
1. Discussion of the CEO Bonus Compensation Plan.
2. An update on the Performance Evaluation.
- Approved the CSP Class of 2015 pending verification of all requirements.
- Approved the proposal to dissolve the PEGS effective December 31, 2015.
- Approved changing the current membership categories, bylaws and qualifications for attainment for: Academy Member, Professional Member, Professional Affiliate Member; and, Honorary Member.
- Determined that NSA will keep their current stance on recognition of the CSPGlobal designation (to not recognize from the NSA stage).
- Approved the 2015-16 Year 1 Operational Plan.
- Approved up to $10,000 for Leadership Orientation training in Tempe.
- Approved up to $20,000 from undesignated assets to fund the future of speaking research project.
- Defeated a motion to fund the Speaking Business Barometer.
- Approved up to $25,000 from undesignated assets to fund PR efforts for 2015 Influence.
- Approved up to $20,000 from undesignated assets for a member needs assessment survey.
- Approved a motion that the ECEC issue [of appointment of committee chair] be delegated to the Executive Committee for resolution.
- Deferred the discussion and approval of the 2015-16 Operational and Capital Budget approvals to be via a conference call/webinar.
November 22, 2014
Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
- In Executive Session following the Strategic Planning meeting on November 21, 2014, approved the absence of Chad Hymas, CSP, CPAE due to a family emergency.
- Accepted the audit report as written and presented by CliftonAllenLarson.
- Approved the minutes, as amended, of the June 27-28, 2014 Board Meeting.
- Approved Monica Wofford, CSP as Treasurer for 2014-15.
- Approved the Committee Chairs, as presented, for 2015-16.
- Approved up to $30,000 from undesignated assets for the creation and implementation of a Chapter Website templates service.
- Moved to Executive Session where the following occurred:
1. Tasked ECEC Chair Ron Karr with preparing and presenting an adjusted comp plan.
2. Approved a motion related to giving a full vote of confidence for the CEO.
- Accepted the recommendation of the Member Advisory Group to not move forward with a name change at this time and released the group from their duties and responsibilities.
- Approved the use of ‘Influence’ as the name for the NSA Annual Convention. Indicated that a tag line would be created by marketing as part of the convention name.
June 27-28, 2014
Manchester Grand Hyatt
San Diego, CA
- Approved the minutes, as amended, of the February 27, 2014 Board Meeting.
- Approved Ed Robinson, CSP as Secretary for 2014-15.
- Approved Dan Thurmon, CSP, CPAE as Treasurer for 2014-15.
- Approved the Committee Chairs, as presented, for 2014-15.
- Discussed continuing issues related to the relationship with Global Speakers Federation and next steps.
- Acknowledged that Director Pegine Echevarria was appointed to fill position of Treasurer on GSF Executive Committee. Therefore, approved Director Chad Hymas, CSP, CPAE to back-fill her position on the GSF Council for a 1-year term.
- Approved the designation of up to $500,000 from the strategic initiatives fund for the brand development budget with the unspent balance released to Undesignated Net Assets June 30, 2016 and to return the current balance of the brand promotional items to Undesignated Assets.
- Approved the release of the prior year’s Strategic Initiatives Fund balance back to Undesignated Net Assets.
- Moved to Executive Session where the following occurred:
1. Approved a bonus for the CEO.
2. Directed that the 2014-15 Bonus Plan be finalized no later than August 31, 2014.
3. Deferred a proposed cost of living increase to the ECEC for recommendation at the November 2014 Board meeting.
- Elected John B. Molidor, PhD, CSP as Vice President.
- Approved forwarding the proposed Conflict of Interest form for attorney review and recommendation.
- Elected Directors Chad Hymas, CSP, CPAE and Liz Weber, CMC, CSP to serve on the Executive Committee.
- Took the following actions on issues presented on behalf of NSA Foundation:
1. Approved Neen James and Stacey Hanke as Trustees to the NSA Foundation.
2. Approved up to $20,000 to fund a part-time staff person for NSA Foundation.
3. Revised the designation of funds within the corpus of the Foundation endowment to the following:
Remove the board designation of funds to the research fund (currently ($341,000) and use those funds to:
- Endow, fully, the Robert Henry and Jeanne Robertson scholarship funds at $125,000 each ($250,000 total); which will add two additional $5,000 scholarships to the current offerings.
- Create a dollar for dollar match for those currently raising funds for the Art Berg Grant program to fully endow that grant at $125,000; which will create a perpetually funded Art Berg Grant.
- Designate any remaining funds with 50% to PSBF and 50% to scholarship funds.
4. Allocated all future undesignated donations to the NSA Foundation with 50% to the PSBF fund and 50% to the Community funds (scholarships and grants).
5. Repurposed the scholarship program to place the focus of future scholarships to benefit NSA members, their children, grandchildren, and/or others nominated for the scholarship by NSA members.
6. Approved the changes to the NSA Foundation bylaws as outlined.
7. Approved the changes to the NSA Foundation Policies as outlined.
- Approved an extension until March 31, 2015 for NSA Virginia to come into compliance with the Bylaws.
- Approved the 2014 CSP class as vetted by the Committee.
February 27, 2014
Tampa Renaissance International Plaza Hotel
- Approved the minutes of the November 22, 2013 Board Meeting.
- Discussed the potential conflict of interest issues from Platform Profits Lab and appointed Director Molidor to draft a policy on how to handle these types of situations for presentation to the Board in July.
- Acknowledged Stephen Shapiro as Convention Chair for 2016.
- Discussed items/issues as reported in the Financial and Audit updates.
- Moved to Executive Session to receive an overview/clarification of the CEO Performance Evaluation Process.
- Approved the modified Consent Agenda, excluding the Finance portion.
- Discussed concerns related to the Updated Finance (and related) Committee Roles and Responsibilities proposal. Following agreement that a proposal outlining a modified budget preparation and review timeline would be prepared for the next Board meeting, approved the proposal as written.
- Approved the modified Robert’s Rules of Order Training for NSA Board Members proposal.
- Reviewed and approved the Branding Task Force recommendations.
- Discussed the continuing issues with the Global Speakers Federation.
- Received an update on the revised CSP process and a breakdown of the number and locations for the 84 candidates for CSP.
- Approved the 1-year Operational Plan as edited during the Strategic Planning Session.
- Approved the Three Year Strategic Plan (2015-17) as edited during the Strategic Planning Session.
- Approved funding of $25K to populate the demographic information in the individual member records.
- Approved funding up to $60K to develop and deliver virtual training programs for all levels of members and Academy participants.
- Approved funding up to $70K for first year costs to develop and disseminate research-based quarterly business reports on the business of speaking.
- Approved the 2014-15 Operational and Capital budgets.
- Acknowledged a request to move budget discussion items earlier in the Board agenda.
November 22, 2013
Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
- Approved the minutes of the July 25-26, 2013 Board Meeting.
- Recommended Mark Brown as Youth Chair for 2015 Convention.
- Discussed issues related to the relationship with Global Speakers Federation, identifying expectations and action steps moving forward.
- Approved, as amended, the CEO Performance Evaluation Process Revision proposal.
- Approved, as amended, the proposal to Clarify Finance Committee Roles and Responsibilities.
- Approved the Executive Compensation and Evaluation Committee proposal to remove as a sub-committee under the Finance Committee and adjust the Committee membership.
- Approved the Audit Committee Modifications proposal to remove as a sub-committee of the Finance Committee.
- Approved the Investments Committee Modifications proposal to remove as a sub-committee of the Finance Committee with direct reporting to the Board of Directors.
- Approved the Capital Expenditures Request – NSA Building Maintenance proposal to replace the NSA Headquarters roof and safety valve of fire sprinkler system.
- Moved to Executive Session to receive update on NSA Headquarters staffing issues.
- Received video update on the CSP Process Revisions.
- Participated in Skype call with Bruce Turkel for Branding Task Force Update, Q&A and next steps discussion.
- Reviewed and discussed the Segmentation & Membership Task Force recommendations report.
- Approved the offering of an affiliate fee, as defined in the motion to presenters for event registrations for Platform Profits Lab.
- Approved the appointment of a group of board members to review and revise all the roles, responsibilities and documents for the finance-related proposals presented at this meeting to clean up language and put in alignment with current NSA policies.
July 25-26, 2013
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Approved the minutes of the February 21, 2013 Board Meeting.
- Approved the Policies and Procedures Consent Agenda item after modification of three items as identified in the meeting minutes.
- Approved Liz Weber, CSP as Secretary for 2013-14.
- Approved Chad Hymas, CSP, CPAE as Treasurer for 2013-14.
- Approved the Committee Chairs as presented for 2013-14.
- Moved to Executive Session to approve the Discretionary Bonus portion of the overall CEO bonus.
- Approved the CEO Succession Plan proposal with amendments as identified in the meeting minutes.
- Approved the CSP Certification Process and Revision proposal by accepting the recommendations submitted by the Committee for a new multi-stage certification process for the designation of Certified Speaking Professional.
- Elected Ruby Newell-Legner, CSP as Vice President for 2013-14.
- Elected Board Members John B. Molidor, PhD and Pegine Echevarria, CSP to Executive Committee for 2013-14.
- Approved as new members of the NSA Foundation Board of Trustees: Patrick Henry, CSP; Shep Hyken, CSP, CPAE and Monica Wofford, CSP.
- Approved the CSP Class of 2013 as presented.
February 21, 2013
San Francisco Marriott Airport Waterfront
San Francisco, CA
- Approved the minutes of the November 17, 2012 Board Meeting.
- Approved a proposal that the focus, format and number of meetings necessary to drive forward the Strategic Plan of NSA will be recommended by staff, in conjunction with the NSA Leadership Team and approved by the NSA Board.
- Approved that an update to the strategic plan will be provided at each Board meeting as part of the ‘Reports’ agenda items.
- Approved the waiving of registration fees for NSA member general session featured keynote speakers at NSA National meetings.
- Approved a proposal to split back of the room sales of speaker products/services 50-50 at the Platform Profits Lab to be held in 2014 with details specified in the Speaker’s Platform Profit Lab agreement.
- Approved to budget from Board Designated Strategic Initiatives Funds, $45,000 per year to help reimburse/pay non-NSA Speakers for presenting at NSA National events for a trial period of two years (August 1, 2013 to August 1, 2015).
- Accepted the CSP Committee Task Force recommendation that a revised multi-staged process be used in NSA’s CSP certification process and directed furtherance of the task force in accomplishing the tasks as approved.
- Approved the Fiscal Year 2013-2014 Operating Budget.
- Approved the Strategic Plan Funding 2013-14 Funding/Budget Request.
- Approved the Capital Budget for Fiscal Year 2013-2014.
- Approved the Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) Class of 2013 pending candidates meeting the requirements of the CSP process.
- Approved a change to Board representation to GSF from President-elect to presidential appointee of Board member.
- Approved an exception for the 2013-14 Board Nominations to allow up to six (6) directors be selected to the Board.
- Moved to Executive Session, to approve the goal figures for the CEO Bonus Plan for
June 2013 to May 2014.
November 17, 2012
Phoenix Airport Hilton
- Approved the minutes of the July 12-13, 2012 Board Meeting.
- Moved to Executive Session to address proposals related to CEO Compensation: Approved CEO Bonus Plan; Approved amended version of FY2012-13 Interim CEO Bonus Plan.
- Approved to outsource the CEO performance evaluation survey and data collection.
- Approved a revision to the Executive Compensation and Evaluation Committee (ECEC) Roles and Responsibilities.
- Approved branding the NSA Convention using the same name every year.
- Approved a change to the Bylaws regarding absences of board of directors and decision-making authority falls to Executive Committee.
- Defeated establishment of a new PEG named NSA Online Marketing PEG.
- Approved a policy regarding creating, monitoring and reporting Board-Designated Net Asset Funds.
- Approved the discontinuation of current short-term designated net asset funds with balances per the schedule within the proposal.
July 12-13, 2012
- Approved the Capital Budget for Fiscal Year 2012-2013 as presented.
- Approved Linda Keith as Board Secretary for 2012-13.
- Approved Ed Robinson as Board Treasurer for 2012-13.
- Approved the Committee Chairs for 2012-13 as presented.
- Approved Joseph Gandolfo as Youth Chair.
- Approved the members as named to the Ethics Committee.
- Eliminated the current staff performance sharing (bonus) system.
- Voted to remove the language in the NSA Policy and Procedures document that states that one must have the CSP designation in order to be nominated to the position of Vice President (VP) for the National Speakers Association (NSA).
- Approved a motion that the NSA Chapter Affiliation Agreement be amended to require Chapters to incorporate.
- Approved the updated version of the Conflict of Interest Statement.
- Approved a motion to update the wording in Ethics Committee Procedures document to reflect the Board’s direction regarding limitations on Ethics Committee scope.
- Elected Shep Hyken as Vice President for 2012-13.
- Elected Board Members John Molidor and Chad Hymas to Executive Committee for 2012-13.
- Approved as new members of the NSA Foundation Board of Trustees: Ed Gerety, Chad Hymas and Kim Snider; and, as Chair-elect of the Foundation Board of Trustees, Al Walker.
- Approved amendments to the NSA Foundation Bylaws covering length of term and serving additional term.
- Approved, as listed, the Certified Speaking Professional Class of 2012.
February 2, 2012
Marriott at Legacy Town Center
- Approved policy that all CSP Council member positions be appointed by the incoming president-elect.
- Approved addition to Bylaws of addition of two additional standing committees: Finance and Strategic Planning.
- Approved the 2012 Class of CSP applicants as presented.
- Defeated a motion and amendments to revise the Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) designation to be more competency-based.
- Approved an agreement in concept of a tiered membership system.
- Declined participation in a 360 Degree Assessment for Board meetings.
- Determined that Ethics Committee will remain an ad hoc committee.
- Directed CEO to follow-up and report back on letter of concern received regarding competitive organizations.
November 19, 2011
NSA National Headquarters
- Adopted policy that registration to national convention for the back stage concierge should be compensated.
- Approved the action to eliminate or move selected policies within the NSA Policy and Procedures Manual and schedule a regular review every third year
- Approved the changes to the wording of the policies listed in the schedule of NSA Policy and Procedures Manual updates.
- Approved a change to the wording, with amendments, within the Meeting Presenter Promotion Policy to update/revise the Meetings Policies and Presenter Guidelines.
- Approved a change to the NSA Bylaws to replace title of ‘Executive Vice President’ with ‘Chief Executive Officer.’
- Approved a change to NSA Committee names to create alignment and consistency in structure and naming conventions with the NSA Bylaws.
- Declined proposal to reduce the number of Board of Directors elected each year.
- Approved, as amended, the criteria and weighting factors to assess the performance of the CEO for calendar year 2011.
- Adopted a policy that NSA Controller is charged with reviewing and signing off on CEO credit-card expense and travel expense reports.
- Approved the audit report as submitted.
- Adopted a directive, as amended, that the CEO use existing undesignated net assets to cover the projected deficit to be capped at $250,000.
July 28-29, 2011
Anaheim Marriott Hotel
- Approved appointment of Ruby Newell-Legner as the 2012 Secretary.
- Approved appointment of Scott McKain as the 2012 Treasurer.
- Approved appointment of Omekongo Dibinga as 2013 Youth Program Chair.
- Approved the Audit Committee Charter Update.
- Approved, as amended, the Strategic Planning Committee Charter.
- Approved, as amended, the Compensation Committee Charter.
- Approved the merger of Facilitators PEG and Seminar Workshop Leaders PEG.
- Elected Ron Karr as Vice-President of NSA.
- Elected Scott Halford and John Molidor to the Executive Committee.
- Approved, as amended, the final authority for the CPAE banquet event program to reside with the CPAE Leadership Council.
- Approved, as amended, Meeting Presenter Promotion Policy.
- Approved the Non-NSA Member Reimbursement Policy.
- Approved a change to wording of Honorary Membership – Speaker Magazine
February 18, 2011
Loews Atlanta Hotel
- Accepted the 2009-2010 Financial Review findings report.
- Approved the 2011-2012 Operating Budget as presented.
- Approved the proposed Capital Budget as presented.
- Approved a change to the process of making proposals at regularly scheduled Board meetings.
- Approved travel funding for NSA’s presidential leaders.
- Approved, as amended, investing in NSA web site redevelopment and Find A Speaker online directory up to $75,000.
- Approved the Certified Speaking Professional Class of 2011 as presented.
- Granted approval for CEO to move forward with proposed staff changes.
November 20, 2010
Doubletree Paradise Valley Resort
- Approved, as amended, to change the policy regarding restricted funds for the Operating Reserve Fund.
- Approved use of NSA Reserve Funds to balance the 2010-11 Budget.
- Acknowledged the recommendations of the following Task Forces:
- Volunteer Led / Staff Driven
- Executive Committee
- Leadership Team
- Leadership Succession
- Board Behaviors
- Defeated a motion to form a task force to create the structure for reporting the work of NSA Committees.
July 15-16, 2010
Marriott World Center Orlando
- Approved Ed Robinson as replacement Board Member to serve a three-year term.
- Approved name change of NSA-Heartland Chapter to NSA-Kansas City Chapter.
- Approved Patrick Maurer as chair of 2012 Youth Convention.
- Elected Ron Culberson as Vice-President.
- Elected Ed Gerety and Ron Karr to Executive Committee.
- Approved Scott Halford as Treasurer under Kristin Arnold’s presidential term.
- Approved Marjorie Brody as Secretary under Kristin Arnold’s presidential term.
- Defeated motions regarding expenses of 2011 Convention Speaker Fees and Registration.
- Approved, as amended, the general strategy for a relationship between NSA and its chapters.
February 11, 2010
Marriott Airport Nashville
- Approved the minutes of the November 2009 meeting.
- Approved the 2010-11 Operating Budget.
- Approved the 2010-11 Capital Budget.
- Approved the use of up to 4% of NSA undesignated net assets for the fiscal year ending May 31, 2010 to balance the deficits to the budget.
- Defeated a motion to allow net investment income to be moved into the next year’s budget.
- Defeated a motion to allow future Board of Directors to approve a budget which would bring the undesignated net assets balance below the target one year’ operating expenses as further defined in the proposal.
- Approved an amended motion to approve initial investment of $100,000 to fund marketing initiatives for NSA and establish up to 5% of future operating budgets dedicated to marketing.
- Approved a one year investment of $125,000 in the continued development of the NSA sponsorship and advertising program.
- Approved a three-part proposal, as amended, regarding term of the Investment Committee Chair and members; qualifications needed to hold Investment Committee Chair position; and, appointment of the Investment Committee Chair is by the Executive Vice President with approval of the Board with members chosen by the incoming president.
- Approved the 2010 CSP Class as presented.
- Revoked the charter of NSA Heartland of Texas.
- Approved the formation of a task force to review Chapter of the Future recommendations numbers 1-11 with input of proposals to the Board for the July meeting.
- Approved $5,000 contribution to the Convention Industry Council.
November 19, 2009
Arizona Grand Resort
- Approved reduced NSA dues for GSF members.
- Approved combination of the Social Media PEG and the eLearning PEG into one PEG called the ePEG.
- Approved CSP Council Membership and Leadership policy.
- Authorized the Executive Vice President to negotiate a path forward with the Cigar PEG.
- July 16-17, 2009 JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort Phoenix, AZ
- Adopted policy related to how the Board will accept proposals and motions submitted after the deadline for submissions.
- Adopted policy for former NSA members who have earned the CSP designation.
- Approved a change to the CSP Application wording.
- Approved phase 1 of the Social Media PEG.
- Approved phase 1 of the eLearning PEG.
- Amended the NSA Staff 401k plan.
- Adopted the Governance Task Force Report.
- Approved voting privilege to Presidential Appointee.
- Laura Stack elected 2009-2010 Vice President.
- Scott Halford and Shep Hyken elected to one-year terms on the Executive Committee.
- Approved CSP Council authorization for determined CSP application educational credits and CSP renewal credits.
- Approved aligning CSP Candidate requirements with CSP requirements.
- Amended policies regarding social groups.